Unilever Plc – Fit Business
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of fast-moving consumer goods, with three global divisions – Foods, home care and personal care. Market leading brands include Domestos, Persil and Flora.
Apira, in partnership with the PCCS (Primary Care Cardiovascular Society) were asked by Unilever to conduct Cardiovascular Health Checks on its UK workforce (7,500), across 15 sites, as part of its Fit Business programme.
Fit Business is a perfect fit with Unilever’s business strategy. It supports its aim of Winning with People through promoting, maintaining and enhancing the health of its people so as to maximise their fitness to work safely and effectively.
In addition to delivering the health checks to Unilever staff, Apira also developed and deployed a web-based appointment booking and screening management system that supports:
- Employees to
- book and track their occupational health appointment
- enter their demographic details and answer a lifestyle questionnaire
- Screeners to
- record clinical data (e.g. blood pressure, cholesterol etc) and calculate the CVD risk score
- recommend follow-up actions to employees based on CVD risk score
- Administrators to
- Set up screening day schedules
- Generate a range of reports Manage appointments (cancellation, rescheduling etc
The following services were provided:
- Requirements Collection & Analysis
- System Design & Development
- Unit, System & Deployment Testing
- Deployment, Support & Maintenance
- Overall Project Management
- Supply and management of the Nursing staff delivering the health checks
Though the health checks were voluntary, there was a 60% take up, which exceeded the original Unilever expectations and surpassed the numbers screened in the 2007 programme.
It was agreed the use of an IT system to manage the appointment bookings and data capture was a positive improvement to the 2007 programme as it helped :
- To reduce inconsistencies in data capture
- Effective Management of appointment slots due to the centralised database
- Improved employee experience as a result of streamlining the processes with the help of the system
- Assisted in up-to-date and accurate reporting on the progress of the screening programme to Unilever stakeholders